Journalist Visa (J)
This visa is for media-related visits including journalists, photographers, and videographers.
Approximate processing time:
Two to four weeks
Difficulty to get:
Moderate to difficult depending on the subject you are exploring
Typically three months, single entry, can be extended
Maximum continuous stay:
Length of visa or 180 days
What you can do:
- Work in a branch office of a foreign media company
- Make a documentary film (with prior approval)
- Take professional photographs
- Professional travel writing
- Professional travel journalism
- Travel promotion
- Write articles for major publications about fashion, costumes, sport
What you cannot do:
- Same as tourist visa
- Extensions have to be granted by the Ministry of External Affairs.
- You must already be an existing journalist (or media related profession) to apply for this visa.
- If you are employed by a media company or are in a media related profession, you may be given this visa by default, even if you just want to come as a tourist. See the notes on the visa application guide.
Back to the full list of visas here