You have identified an ideal partner for your business in India: strong financials, common interests, and experience in the field. The company is an older family-run business. You soon realize that the key to sealing an agreement is a meeting with the patriarch, an older man who doesn’t come to the office much anymore. His blessing is essential, but you are having a lot of trouble getting his attention. What do you do?
In this episode of Working With India, I talk with Arjun Buxi. Arjun is a native Indian who grew up in a Punjabi family business, and is now a Communication Consultant and Educator in the San Francisco area. Arjun is a true expert in the field of Indian business culture, especially when it comes to how family dynamics affect things. His knowledge is both experiential and scholarly.
Here are a few of my favorite moments in this show:
- What an HUF is and why it’s central to understanding Indian business
- How to ‘investigate the hierarchy’ of an Indian family business #PowerPlays
- Practical tips on how to correct someone of higher status than you #ThinSkinned
- Really insightful rules for gift-giving
- Why Jugaad is essential for your ability to navigate Indian businesses #GreyisWhite, #ChaosBeatsLogic
Here are some of the links mentioned in the show:
- An article about Mukesh Ambani’s house (it’s actually 27 stories tall!)
- Arjun’s blog post on the role of the personal and professional in Indian family business
- More background on the K-serials, and Balaji Telefilms
- Links for more info on family businesses in India:
- Find Arjun on LinkedIn, Twitter, his website, or email him
Listen to the player below, or subscribe via iTunes!